My Mother’s Last Three Days

Easily the most read and commented upon post on this blog is one that I wrote after my father’s death, How to Know When Death is Imminent, Signs Someone is Dying.

My mother died six weeks ago on July 9, 2015. I called my father’s death “hard work.” It was the first for which I had kept vigil, and now I know his was an easy one, at least for me. He suffered from Parkinson’s, dementia, and Alzheimer’s and had been in and out of consciousness for days prior to his death. He couldn’t talk, so I did not know if he was in pai or scared. He rallied to smile once, although I could tell from his eyes he was aware that people were with him.

My mother only lost consciousness at the very end, helped along, I think, by generous doses of morphine.

She had been totally bedridden for 18 months, and full assist (had to be fed) for the last six or so.

But she never became demented.

My mother was disabled by rheumatoid arthritis, and weakened and finally defeated by kidney failure. The last year of her life she was assaulted by edema. Using diuretics compromised her kidney function. Not using diuretics meant her arms especially would look like half-full water balloons, and every time she would be touched, she was in pain. Even the seam allowances on the insides of her sleeves tormented her. This is what we could see. Edema also puts a strain on the heart.

Through careful monitoring, the doctor was adding the diuretics as needed, then pulling back when the kidney function numbers started looking alarming; then repeat and repeat.

My mom had a decent quality of life, primarily because of the graciousness and professionalism of the staff of Pisgah Manor Nursing Home, who I will never be able to praise highly enough. My mom loved her meals, and she raved about the food. I’d leave Pigsah Manor hungry when I’d come to feed her. Let’s stop and consider that: Have you ever heard any visitors say they left a nursing home hungry? And my mom loved to bird watch. We had several feeders going outside her window, and I have never spent so much time bird-watching. This spring and summer brought so many goldfinches.

Then at the end of June, I had a call that my mom was hallucinating horrifying scenarios, like her blankets were on fire and George W. Bush’s dog was bleeding out on her bed (really). The nursing home suspected a urinary tract infection, and the specimen confirmed this; within a few days she seemed much better, but for the first time wasn’t eating every morsel on her plate. I heard a strange sound from her lungs, like a cat mewling.

Monday, July 6, I went out to the home; they were about to call me anyway. My mother had a gurgling sound in her lungs now, but no other cold, flu, or virus symptoms. She obviously did not feel well; she had no appetite and would only drink with persuasion.

When her morning CNA left, she reported that my mom had produced no urine. I knew we were likely in trouble then; I had learned that when my dad died.

That night, I made calls to those I needed to. There was a contingent who thought I should have her transferred to the hospital. They were certain that once there, she’d get some medication that would fix her up just fine. I decided, since she was fully cognizant, to ask her what she wanted to do.

Tuesday a catheter was inserted. After her bladder was drained, it was obvious she was simply not making urine. I told my mother she was very sick, and asked if she wanted to go to the hospital. She declared she would fight this problem at the nursing home among people who cared for her.

The next two days, my mom was frightened and in pain. She said over and over and over again: “I can’t breathe.” And over and over I would tell her that yes she could breathe, if she could not, she couldn’t talk. She had supplementary oxygen; we would tell her to breathe through her nose calmly and slowly and out through her mouth. It didn’t work.

“I can’t breathe.”

She sounded like — and likely felt like — she was drowning. Edema had spread to her lungs.

Still no urine: we were coming to the end. The nurses did not hide this from me. Always there is the caveat that no one knows for sure, people will surprise you and so on, but there was no reason to believe this would be one of those times.

I was encouraged to go home and rest. Wednesday morning when I walked in I immediately noticed two changes. My mom was ashen, especially on her upper lip area, chin, and the region of the face around her mouth.

I am not trying to be poetic when I use “ashen.” It is used for a reason. The color is much the same as ash.

I’m also not trying to be poetic when I say that the light had gone out of her eyes. This is hard to explain, but there was a haziness or dimness. Perhaps only someone who knew my mother before would have seen the difference. She was, however, still fully conscious, and still panicking and saying “I can’t breathe” and “Help me.”

I asked her again about going to the hospital, and she refused. I told her she was very, very sick.

She asked if she might die. I said yes. When? No one knew.

She seemed genuinely surprised by this. Here she was, 6 weeks shy of 86, completely bedridden and disabled, was refusing food and water, not urinating and didn’t think she could breathe — and yet she was surprised.

I asked if she wanted me to make any calls so she could talk. No. The TV had been off for a few days now, and we were down to her caregivers, me, and her.

She said she was scared. I said what of. She looked at me like I was a total fool, and said, “Dying, of course.” She agreed when I offered to call a chaplain.

The rallying that was so dramatic with my father took a different form with my mom. My mom was exceptionally determined. She had strong opinions, and this blog is named after a phrase of her that could strike fear in those on her list (I’m going to have a little talk with him. . .”) while spectators would get the popcorn popping and wait for the fireworks. She was also pretty good at denial.

When my daughter and her boyfriend came by, she brightened up; she loved visits from my daughter. But after ten minutes, my mom told the two to get along with their evening and go out and enjoy themselves, that she had no intention of dying that night and that she would see them tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.

She tried the same with me, and I went outside to make some calls. Coming back in, I encountered the Perfect Daughter, there five days out of seven, who told me my mom bragged that she had “sent them all away.”

That was the last liveliness I saw from her. The night went on. There was no more conversation, just  “I can’t breathe” and “Help me,” and me watching the clock for when she could have more morphine. The intervals were less, the dosages greater.

My mother died around 9 am Thursday morning. I was not there. She was still conscious when my husband arrived to take over, and she was worried about me.

I was in the hospital waiting for an upper endoscopy.

Midnight I had gone to get the meds nurse; she had delivered the shot, and I was feeling a bit woozy, but blamed it on tiredness and stress and leaned my head against my mom’s railing. The next thing I knew, I was looking down on myself, and I was covered in blood, the chair was covered in blood, and there was a pool at my feet.

My mother was crying out,  “I can’t breathe. . . Help me.”

I had to tell her I could not, that I needed her to press the call button. She couldn’t. So I staggered into the hallway and yelled for help.

That was the last I saw of my mother, and the last she saw of me.

I had had my thirteenth portal hypertension upper GI bleed at her deathbed.

7 thoughts on “My Mother’s Last Three Days”

  1. As I sit her reading searching for a sign an answer comfort My Father is lying in the other room Dying.. Up untill a few days ago he was still up walking around. He was in the hospital for 7 days had pneumonia the nursed him back got rid of the infection. Sent him home on Hospice.. The nurses he has come two times a week on is an RN the other is an aid. They encourage morphine and ativan So st first i waited for him to ask for it But Now i just give it because he tries to get up and roam and it gets so out of breath. he will pass out.. I guess I kept picking at the nurse explaining sometimes he is up then down she knew I wanted her to tell me how much time. Yesterday she said a week maybe 2. i almost passed out. i knew it already but her words were in slow motion. this evening i looked in his eyes and said Daddy i love you and he opened his eyes and said I love you too Baby And I told him Your the best daddy in the whole world.. I keep waiting for these long talks of forgiveness ( wasnt the best man when i was a kid) but no talks.. when I first started caring for him we talked about everything he told me about his dad and how he was rotten something I never knew and how he loved his mom and she came to him the night she died. is that what he will do will he come to me when he dies? I told my Daughter Im sad but Then Im not. Im confused. Reading these stories comforts me . I know when its time it will be time.
    He doesnt suffer loudly but I know he is quietly suffering he is strong and independent and now he is so weak I know thats his suffering.

  2. Thank you, Robin. It must be good to have someone you can trust like a twin to let you know what is happening. I was lucky and forever appreciate that my father had been taken care of by a volunteer at his nursing home whom I had never met before but now regard as one of my dearest friends who told me in no uncertain terms when it was time to get on a plane. And listening to her is one of the things I have done right.

  3. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I have stopped by often over the years to read your words and catch up on your health. I was surprised to read this post about your mom. I deeply appreciate that your write of these last moments. My mother is approaching her 90th birthday in two weeks, and as I type this she is on her way for an infusion for her lymphoma. She is not well. My twin brother is there with her, and I am 700 miles away. I am going down for her next infusion in three weeks. Your words remind me that the elders will always take these journeys and their loved ones will be there to hold their hands and listen to the last words. Take care there.

  4. Virtual Hug (((O))).

    I am sorry to hear your health has gotten more complicated. Blog away all that is on your mind. Not only will it help you to heal, and to deal with everything – but bless others with your words and, insight. The way you use words creates a word picture (for me). I can almost see what it is you are sharing. I retain more with word pictures. I believe you are a gifted writer.

    As my Mama use to say, “Always keep a Smile in your pocket, you never know when someone may need one, even yourself.”

  5. Thank you so much. There will be more new posts soon because things have gotten even more complicated with my health. Hearing from you makes me able to believe that in writing I can at least do one small thing helpful to others.

    And today especially I thank you for writing. This is my mother’s 86th birthday.

  6. I am so sorry about your last few moments with your mom and, your health issues arise at a moment you would have liked to been able to be with your mom. I wish I could reach through the internet give you a BIG Hug.

    I am thankful for your Blog. It was here when no where else on the internet could I find answers I needed for ones last journey or transition from our earthly realm. It gave me personal experiences of others, through many people sharing. You opened many doors through your Blog that has helped so many feel not so all alone.

    Not just sharing about our loved ones death process, but also the many health issues of various degrees, the medical fields- nursing, doctors, hospital, hospice, nursing homes…

    Such a wide range of support, insight and information has been found here on your Blog. What you personally have gone through with your health issues has helped me to fight for answers when it comes to my own health issues. Not not to accept just one, or two medical opinions. But, to continue searching and, fighting for my health. For that, I am truly grateful. My health and, physical problems no where compares to yours. I would not wish all that you’ve gone through on you nor anyone else. But, because of your experiences- personal and, loved ones, you have shared with the world. For that I say “Thank you”.

    I am blessed every time I open your Blog, or the email of knew posts for your Blog and read. I may have read posts at least three times through some even more. I gather knew information each time I read through them.

    I also lift the posters and, their loved ones up in prayer on their behalf. I am ‘Blessed’ continually through your Blog. I lift you up often in prayers of thankfulness for your Blog, as well I pray for you and your health.

    Many Blessings and, Hugs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s